The Refugee Migrant Children Centre Ltd (ACN 164 881 770) (referred to in this document as RMCC, we, us or our) is committed to protecting the personal information it collects from you. However, we are not required to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) and while not purporting to be a statement of compliance with the Privacy Act, this document sets out how we will manage your personal information.
Types of information collected
We may collect and hold personal information about you, that is, information that can identify you, and is relevant to providing you with the goods and services you are seeking or the manner in which you support RMCC. In particular, we may collect:
- your name and contact details (e.g. email address, phone number and residential or business address);
- information about your personal circumstances where relevant (e.g. occupation);
- billing information and details of:
– fundraising contributions or donations made (whether directly to RMCC or by supporting a person participating in an event in support of RMCC); or
– goods or services purchased (such as the RMCC colouring book);
4. if you log in to our Website via a social media account, certain information relating to your social media account that is visible on your public profile (e.g. friends list, photographs and other publicly available information); and
5. a record of pages of our website which are visited by you and/or shared by you via email and/or social media links provided on our website.
Method of collection
Personal information will generally be collected directly from you through the use of any of our standard forms, over the internet, via email, or through a telephone conversation with you. We may also collect personal information about you from third parties acting on your behalf. There may, however, be some instances where personal information about you will be collected indirectly because it is unreasonable or impractical to collect personal information directly from you. We will usually notify you about these instances in advance, or where that is not possible, as soon as reasonably practicable after the information has been collected.
Purpose of collection
The personal information that we collect and hold about you, depends on your interaction with us. Generally, we will collect, use and hold your personal information if it is reasonably necessary for or directly related to the performance of our functions and activities and for the purposes of:
- giving you access to our website and its content;
- providing goods and services to you or someone else you know;
- processing financial donations or fundraising contributions you make;
- responding to your enquiries and requests for services or information via our website;
- providing you with updates about RMCC and its latest campaigns, including campaigns you have supported or may be interested in supporting;
- informing you of changes to our business, our products, the website or content of the website;
- interacting with you via your social media account;
- facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements;
- program management;
- complying with our legal obligations; and
- analysing our goods and services and customer needs with a view to developing new or improved goods and services.
Except as otherwise permitted by law, we only collect sensitive information about you if you consent to the collection of the information and if the information is reasonably necessary for the performance of our functions, as set out above.
Failure to provide information
If the personal information you provide to us is incomplete or inaccurate, we may be unable to provide you, or someone else you know, with the goods and services you, or they, are seeking or may be unable to give effect to your financial or fundraising contribution.
If you access our website, we may collect additional personal information about you in the form of your IP address and domain name.
Our website may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of linked websites and linked websites are not subject to our privacy policies and procedures.
Some functionality of the RMCC website is not run by RMCC and third parties may capture and store your personal information outside Australia. These third parties include (but are not limited to) Facebook, YouTube, Raisely, Twitter and Google, and they may not be subject to the Privacy Acts at all or in the same way as RMCC. RMCC is not responsible for the privacy practices of these third parties and encourages you to examine each website’s privacy policies and make your own decisions regarding their reliability.
Use and disclosure
Generally, we only use or disclose personal information about you for the purposes for which it was collected (as set out above). We may disclose personal information about you to:
- our related entities to facilitate our and their internal business processes;
- other organisations with whom we have affiliations so that those organisations may provide you with information about goods and services and various promotions; and
- government and other entities to whom we are required by virtue of funding arrangements, applicable laws or under compulsion of law by a court or government agency, to disclose your personal information.
Disclosure of personal information overseas
We are likely to disclose personal information about you overseas. For instance, our related bodies corporate, third party service providers (including technology services providers) or other recipients may be based overseas or may use infrastructure outside Australia, in places such as Bulgaria and the United States of America. You consent to this overseas disclosure and agree that by providing consent, we are not required to take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipient does not breach the APPs in relation to that information.
We store your personal information in different ways, including in paper and in electronic form. The security of your personal information is important to us. We take all reasonable measures to ensure that your personal information is stored safely to protect it from interference, misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, including electronic and physical security measures.
Access and correction
You may access the personal information we hold about you, upon making a written request. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period. We may charge you a reasonable fee for processing your request (but not for making the request for access).
We may decline a request for access to personal information in circumstances prescribed by the Privacy Act, and if we do, we will give you a written notice that sets out the reasons for the refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons), including details of the mechanisms available to you to make a complaint.
If, upon receiving access to your personal information or at any other time, you believe the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us immediately. We will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
If we refuse to correct your personal information, we will give you a written notice that sets out our reasons for our refusal (unless it would be unreasonable to provide those reasons), including details of the mechanisms available to you to make a complaint.
Complaints and feedback
If you wish to make a complaint about a breach of the Privacy Act, the APPs or a privacy code that applies to us, please contact us using the details below and we will take reasonable steps to investigate the complaint and respond to you.
If after this process you are not satisfied with our response, you can submit a complaint to the Office of the Information Commissioner. To lodge a complaint, visit the ‘Complaints’ section of the Information Commissioner’s website, located at http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-complaints, to obtain the relevant complaint forms, or contact the Information Commissioner’s office.
Street address: 21A Sun Crescent, Sunshine VIC 3020 Australia
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: (03) 9028 5255
For more information about privacy in general, you can visit the Office of the Information Commissioner’s website at www.oaic.gov.au.